Senator Tom Killion E-Newsletter

View this email in a browser


Like and Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.


Stripping Taxpayer-Funded Pensions from Public Officials and Employees Convicted of Felonies

This week, the Pennsylvania Senate sent a bill to Governor Tom Wolf that will strip taxpayer-funded pensions from state public officials and employees convicted of job-related felonies.

I was a co-sponsor of this bill and voted in favor of the legislation, Senate Bill 113, and believe this is an important reform for taxpayers.

The bill closes the “Mellow Loophole,” named after former State Senator Bob Mellow of Lackawanna County, who in 2017 had his $245,000-a-year pension restored despite pleading guilty and being sent to prison on federal conspiracy charges.

Currently, the Public Employee Pension Forfeiture Act requires a public employee to forfeit his or her pension only for certain crimes listed in the act. In practice, this law allows lawmakers and other public employees charged with a forfeiture crime to plead guilty to a different non-forfeiture crime in order to avoid pension forfeiture.

Senate Bill 113 will require pension forfeiture if a public employee or public official is convicted, pleads guilty, or pleads no contest to any felony offense related to his or her employment. The legislation also ensures that criminal convictions involving public officials are reported to state pension boards.

Current law does not require the employee, courts, or state agencies to send copies of court records upon conviction. Instead, pension boards learn of pension forfeiture cases through agency websites and newspaper articles. Under Senate Bill 113, courts will now be required to notify state pension systems of all pension forfeiture cases.

More information about Senate Bill 113 can be found HERE.

Real ID and Your Social Security Card

I know that there is a lot of confusion about Real ID, this information from PennDot should help clear things up.

Licensed Pennsylvania motorists planning to obtain a Real ID will need to submit to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation verification of identity, a Social Security card, and proof of Pennsylvania residency.

In addition to the other documents, your Social Security card must display the same name as your official proof of identity papers. A replacement requiring NO name change may be issued based on one document from the pre-approved list.

Documents must be current, unexpired, and in your legal name. The proof must be a U.S. driver’s license, U.S. state-issued non-driver identity card, or a U.S. passport. See Evidence of Identity for other documents that may be accepted.

More information can be found at the links below:

Real ID:

Other documents:



Springtime Kicks Off Moving Season – Beware of Scam Movers

If you are planning to move this spring, the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission offers tips to locate a legitimate moving company for your belongings.

Scam movers may use names similar to those of legitimate companies. Confirm a company’s PUC-licensure and obtain an Information for Shippers form prior to signing any agreements.

Review any previous complaints filed utilizing the company name, utility code or carrier ID. New complaints against interstate carriers can be filed online or by calling 1-800-692-7380. Consumer complaints against an intrastate mover can be filed online with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration or by calling 1-888-DOT-SAFT (1-888-368-7238).

Act 77 of 2017, sponsored by Senator David Argall, applied criminal penalties to rogue household goods movers who fail to adhere to state rules.

Upcoming events

Assistance for Veterans

I partner with the Pennsylvania American Legion every month to assist local veterans at my Brookhaven office. A representative from this organization will be helping veterans with issues on:

Date: Wednesday, March 27th

Time: 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Location: Senator Killion’s Brookhaven Office, 4110 Edgmont Avenue, Brookhaven, PA

I encourage veterans and their families who have questions about benefits and programs to schedule an appointment during these assistance hours. Appointments can be made by contacting my office at (610) 447 – 3163. This service is offered the fourth Wednesday of each month.


Always Here to Help

My offices provide many services to families in our area. Here are some of the ways we can help.

  • Unemployment compensation issues
  • SEPTA Key Senior Photo IDs
  • Free notary service
  • Pennsylvania birth certificates
  • PennDOT assistance with drivers licensing questions
  • Information on financial assistance for higher education
  • Assistance with preparation of Property Tax/Rent Rebate applications
  • Citations from the Pennsylvania Senate for notable local accomplishments and milestones
  • Assistance with PA insurance programs: Medical Assistance and CHIP
  • Fishing and hunting information
  • Pennsylvania personal income tax forms
  • Pennsylvania road maps
  • Requests for copies of legislation, bills and regulations
  • Requests for literature for students and senior citizens
  • Tours of the State Capitol for individuals or groups
  • Assistance with state agency issues

Facebook Twitter

If you do not wish to receive this email, click here to unsubscribe.

2020 © Senate of Pennsylvania | | Privacy Policy